Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Big Girl Now


When Grace was six months old I thought she was so big. I celebrated each of her milestones and every time she meet a new one I thought I had the smartest child in the world. Every accomplishment made me feel more empowered and I thought she was so big. Fast forward to two years later and I look at my baby Laura who can do all of things her big sister did at this age and think, "But you're just a tiny little baby."


We took Grace camping on her five-month birthday, to a childrens museum at three months (Museum of Civilization, check it out) and I thought she was big enough to do these things but I look at Laura and I think she still needs her mommy to hold her and kiss her and treat her like a little baby. It doesn't help that Laura cries when I don't do these things.


But today I had to face the reality that Laura is no longer my squishy little newborn and is becoming a big girl. Today we went to the park and she sat happily on the grass for several, several minutes before she toppled over. She repeated this several times. Yesterday, I broke out the old exersaucer and Laura is in baby heaven.


I guess its time for me to realize that Laura is a big baby now who can sit and eat baby food and wants so badly to crawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment